Wednesday, March 21, 2018

(2018 comeback) Miguel Migs-Sail On / This Feelin'

Yes, it's been 7 years. Crazy. I never thought I'd ever get back to curating a music blog that no one actually reads, but here I am, ready to spread a bit of my questionable taste in music to anyone that might accidentally stumble across Musictronics. Truth is, as much as I try to play it down and disregarding the fact that I'm far from a sophisticated listener, I probably listened to more music over the past 20 years than most people I know, so I kinda feel there is a lot of material for me to work with.

With that in mind, why don't I get going with the first feature of 2018: an older tune from 2014 :)

Miguel Migs is synonimous with the soul-influenced San Fran deep house sound of the 2000s. A prolific producer, having released countless singles, EPs, mix compilations, as well as 4 artist albums, Migs is most often associated with house labels Om Records, Naked Music and of course, his very own Salted Music, which he established in 2004. Very much active to the present day, Migs' latest artist album, "Dim Division", released in 2014 is in my opinion his best one yet. Usually when artists are as strongly associated with a particular sound, like Migs is with his 2000s era releases, it's very hard for them to stay within the same stylistic realm and still top expectations far down the road. But that is EXACTLY what Migs did with "Dim Division". 12 years apart from his debut album, "Colorful You" and the soul is still there, the groove is still there, the melody is still there and most importantly, the creativity is still there. An excellent album with a mature sound, slick production and some really interesting tracks. Like I said, as far as I am concerned, this is Migs' best album to date.

For today I have selected two tracks (almost mission impossible limiting my selection to only two) that I hope you'll enjoy as much as I did:

Sail On:


This Feelin':

No comments:

Post a Comment